Cranberry & Cilantro Quinoa Salad
adapted from the Cranberry Marketing Committee
- 1/14 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup minced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- Toast quinoa in a skillet over medium high heat stirring frequently until quinoa is fragrant and make a continuous popping sound (about 5- 7 minutes).
- In a small saucepan, bring water and pinch of salt to a boil over high heat; stir in toasted quinoa, reduce heat and bring to a low simmer. Cover pot and cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of quinoa, stir in cranberries, carrots, red and yellow peppers, red onion and cilantro until mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix together lime juice, oil, salt and ground red pepper and pour over quinoa-cranberry mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Does not have to be served cold.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 150, Calories from Fat 30, Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g, Total Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 115mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g, Sugars 11g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 3g, Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 45%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%