Simple Citrus Vinaigrette Over Grilled Swordfish
by Shannon McCarthy
2 tbsp pineapple juice
3 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp sherry vinegar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp diced bell pepper (red, yellow, or green)
1 tbsp diced jalapeño (optional)
1 scallion, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt & pepper
2 6 oz. filets of swordfish (or whatever fish you have access to)
- Whisk together the juices & vinegar. Slowly stream in olive oil, whisking until frothy.
- Stir in the diced pepper, scallion, jalapeño (if using,) cilantro and cayenne.
- Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Pat the fish dry; season with salt & pepper.
- Heat canola oil on grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the fish 2-3 minutes per side for medium doneness. If you like your fish cooked through, cook 1 minute longer on each side.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the cooked swordfish and serve more on the side if desired.
Orzo with Grilled Shrimp, Summer Vegetables, and Pesto Vinaigrette
Servings: Makes 6 servings
BON APPÉTIT | JUNE 2008 BY SARA FOSTER
- 8 ounces orzo (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 6 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 2 medium zucchini or summer squash (about 9 ounces total), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, quartered
- 3 tablespoons purchased pesto
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 heirloom tomatoes (8 to 10 ounces total), cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1. Cook orzo in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Transfer to large bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon oil.
2. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Whisk 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons vinegar in small bowl. Brush zucchini and bell pepper with oil mixture, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Whisk pesto, lime juice, remaining 3 1/2 tablespoons oil, and remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar in small bowl for pesto vinaigrette. Place shrimp in medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons pesto vinaigrette; toss to coat.
3. Grill zucchini and bell pepper until crisptender, about 3 minutes per side for zucchini and 4 minutes per side for bell pepper. Transfer to work surface. Sprinkle shrimp with salt and pepper; grill until charred and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place shrimp in bowl with orzo. Chop zucchini and bell pepper; add to bowl with orzo. Add remaining vinaigrette, tomatoes, sliced basil, and mozzarella; toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover; chill.
4. Garnish with basil sprigs and serve cold or at room temperature.
Cranberry & Cilantro Quinoa Salad
adapted from the Cranberry Marketing Committee
- 1/14 cups water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup minced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- Toast quinoa in a skillet over medium high heat stirring frequently until quinoa is fragrant and make a continuous popping sound (about 5- 7 minutes).
- In a small saucepan, bring water and pinch of salt to a boil over high heat; stir in toasted quinoa, reduce heat and bring to a low simmer. Cover pot and cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a medium bowl. Cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In the bowl of quinoa, stir in cranberries, carrots, red and yellow peppers, red onion and cilantro until mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix together lime juice, oil, salt and ground red pepper and pour over quinoa-cranberry mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Does not have to be served cold.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 150, Calories from Fat 30, Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g, Total Fat 3.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 115mg, Total Carbohydrate 29g, Sugars 11g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 3g, Vitamin A 40%, Vitamin C 45%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%